misfitandmom

Lakota Surrender
Karen Kay

Review: The Heiress Bride Susan Paul

The Heiress Bride - Susan Paul

The setting: England, early 1400s. Rosaleen Sarant of Seire is a great heiress, but she's in the clutches of her evil uncle who wants to marry her off to the man of his choosing, and then he can take her title for himself. Don't ask me to explain all this inheriting titles through the female line and/or swapping them to the male line on the mother's side, because I just can't. It is what it is. Back to story: Rosaleen has refused to marry the man her uncle has chosen, and he thinks whipping her will force her into submission. Hah.

Rosaleen runs off, hoping to reach London and beg the king's protection. When she seeks a room at an inn where all the men think she's a harlot, she falls under the protection of not-a-knight Hugh Caldwell. Hugh's been off fighting for King Henry in France, but for butt-hurt reasons of his own won't let the king knight him. He's happier going from bar to bar, picking fights and bashing people's head in. Hugh has no idea Rosaleen is a lady, but he takes her under his wing and takes her to his family home where they'll take care of her and get her to London.

That is if Rosaleen would just stay put...

Don't ask me to explain how this comes about, but Hugh won a big estate in a card game, and it's in ruins. Rosaleen and Hugh make this agreement that she'll run the estate for three months, and then he'll take her to London (forget about his family that was supposed to get her to London). The estate is not only run-down, it's inhabited by a motley rag-tag group of thieves, ruffians and women of questionable virtue.

Everyone with me so far? I'm lost.

Plus there's the bed the two shared, doing anything and everything but the one thing that would compromise her virginity (countesses must be pure and all that ya know).

(show spoiler)

"God's toes, Rosaleen, you make your virginity sound like royal goods."

About the only way I can describe this is to compare it to Julie Garwood's medieval novels. If you are a fan of those with the historical anachronisms and slap stick humor, this book might work, but it really went OTT when Hugh, Rosaleen and Hugh's family all showed up at Henry's court. For anyone else, I do not recommend this book.