misfitandmom

The White Dove
Rosie Thomas
Lakota Surrender
Karen Kay
Palm Springs - Trina Mascott Recently widowed George McKinntock is down and out of money to play with, so he brings his three children to start a new life in Palm Springs with distant relatives. Younger siblings Ella and Neil loathe living in what was the back-o-beyond in 1912, but Ginger takes to the desert lifestyle like a duck does to water. George manages to nab himself a wealthy widow and the McKinntocks return to San Francisco, but Ginger doesn't get along well with the new step-mom and events bring her back to the desert where fortunes are waiting to be made as the small town continues to grow as the favorite getaway for well-to-do and the Hollywood elite. OK, so this had all the earmarks of a big fat juicy saga, sort of a Dallas/Dynasty/Knots Landing put to paper, revolving around historical events from 1912 through the 1980s and I dived right in. The first half was actually fairly good, even though Ginger was a bit too much of a perfect goody-two shoes for my tastes. I had several problems with this book, first and foremost every character's constant obsession with the ultimate orgasm; it isn't quite as heavily used as those awful Fifty Shades books, but it comes fairly close. I wouldn't have minded so much if there are been some real feeling and chemistry between Ginger and her assorted male leads, but those *romances* fell a bit flat. You know people are in love because the author tells us they are. And boo hiss for encouraging -------- to commit adultery, but then like mother like daughter. The author also had a bad habit of overusing the exclamation point to convey character emotions, there are better and more subtle ways to get this done, and it wore thin at the end. This was a hard book to rate; the first half was fairly good, but things went a bit too downhill in the last half, especially with the ever revolving marriage doors in Ginger's family. I needed a score card to remember all of them, one too many marry the son first, and then marry the father second kind of nonsense (got kind of tired with the being in love with the teenager and waiting 10 years for her to grow up trope). I do give the author kudos for how well she portrayed the desert landscape and lifestyle, and for that I'm awarding an extra half star from my overall 2.5 star rating. It's a pot-boiler, but it just isn't a good pot-boiler worth hunting down.