misfitandmom

The White Dove
Rosie Thomas
Lakota Surrender
Karen Kay
Shadow on the Crown - Patricia Bracewell Shadow on the Crown is the first in a trilogy based on the life of Emma of Normandy. I'm feeling lazy today and other reviewers here have recapped everything nicely, so I'll pass on another rehash. I thought this was a solid effort from a first time writer, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Having read Helen Hollick's [b:The Forever Queen|7717338|The Forever Queen (The Saxon Series #1)|Helen Hollick|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337455264s/7717338.jpg|1961785] (also published as [b:A Hollow Crown|1958776|A Hollow Crown|Helen Hollick|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327873193s/1958776.jpg|1961785]), I was already familiar with the basics of Emma's life, but since there are so many gaps in the historical records it was fun to have another author's take on the *what if* parts, and a huge thumbs up to the author's notes at the end letting the reader know when she did that. I really liked who Bracewell chose to portray Elfgiva (sp?), and I think I know who she ends up with in her later years, but I didn't read online too much to avoid spoiling myself. Shadow on the Crown ends when Emma gives birth to her first child, Edward (later to be known as Edward the Confessor). There's still a whole lot of story to be told though, so I am very much looking forward to books two and three. My only cautionary note would be that if you've recently read Hollick's book on Emma, I would recommend putting some space between these two books to avoid too much been-there-done-that.