misfitandmom

The White Dove
Rosie Thomas
Lakota Surrender
Karen Kay
The Firebird - Susanna Kearsley “It just seemed a thing worth following, your Firebird.”How to recap the plot when the book description does it so nicely? I'm going to take the lazy way out and bypass that and just talk about the reading experience. The Firebird is a sequel to [b:The Winter Sea|3392089|The Winter Sea|Susanna Kearsley|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1361281953s/3392089.jpg|3723657], and while it could stand alone, I strongly urge that TWS be read first. Fans of Kearsley are familiar with her dual time storylines, and the paranormal elements she incorporates to take the contemporary characters into the past. In this case it's ESP with Nicola Marter (whose skills are less developed), working with old friend/flame Rob McMorran (from The Shadowy Horses) whose skills at mind reading and seeing into the past/future are very strong. From reading reviews from fellow friends and readers, it's pretty clear that the ESP element isn't going to work for everyone, so if you can't buy into it, this may not be the book for you. If you can accept it and go with it (as I did), this is a great story with plenty of twists and turns. I'd also caution that the heroine in the past is a young girl for a good part of the first of the book, and once she's in St. Petersburg there's not much freedom for young ladies to come and go, so the action might be a bit slow for some readers. YMMV. Kearsley is great at setting a scene and making you feel like you're there. Loved the St. Petersburg setting, and the way she incorporated so many real historical characters into her story. I was surprised at the active Jacobite community in St. Petersburg, a new to me factoid. All in all a very rewarding read for me, with plenty of twists and turns and jaw-dropping surprises at the end (I did not see that coming!).My copy obtained via library loan.