misfitandmom

The White Dove
Rosie Thomas
Lakota Surrender
Karen Kay
Highland Warrior - Connie Mason A verra verra bad book, I doona recommend it. That is, unless you like a silly plot along with very bad sex all wrapped up in a faux historical setting. Granted, there are readers who enjoy that type of book and while I'm not knocking them I am definitely not one of them. You are not going to get your Jamie and Claire fix here, although September is almost upon us and the long wait for An Echo in the Bone will soon be over. Yay! This is pretty much your basic Highland romance - Laird MacKay wishing to end a decades long feud gives his daughter Gillian in marriage to the Laird of the rival MacKenna clan. Gillian is as fiery and spirited as her red mane of hair and hates her husband Ross on sight, despite the overwhelming sexual attraction between the two. Of course there are the evil bad guys (and gal) who want to keep them apart for their own nefarious purposes and well, that's pretty much it. Gee, how original, and I have to tell you It was verra verra hard not to send the book flying every time I heard about Gillian's flame red hair (six times in 20 some pages), let alone the "flame" comments from the wise woman. Despite an effort to make the setting seem authentic with the dialogue, clothing and customs, things just didn't always ring true. Tossing Gillian out on her ear to return to Da in the middle of winter with no escort? Telling her husband to "leave off"? Potatoes in 1415? Oy. But worst of all, as mentioned at the top, were the OTT sex scenes in minute, embarrassing, and oh so disgusting detail. So bad I can't even bear to quote a few to poke fun at them - and after what I read in That-Tudor-Vampire-Book I have to tell you that's pretty darn bad. Skip this, I wish I had.